mock 0.8.9 for EPEL-5

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 21:44:23 UTC 2007

On Nov 20, 2007 2:29 PM, Manuel Wolfshant <wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro> wrote:
> On 11/20/2007 11:20 PM, Michael E Brown wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 02:05:46PM -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> >
> >> Ok I am going to ask the harder question :). How does this affect
> >> RHEL-4 and such?
> >>

> > Does not affect RHEL4. I dont intend to upgrade mock in RHEL4 at this
> > time, as I dont have a box to test this out on. Nor do I think it worth
> > the effort to do so, as I doubt there are any users (or at least *very*
> > few, if any.)
> >
> I have to contradict you here. To my knowledge Centos 4 is quite popular
> and even though lots of people have switched their devel boxes to C5 or
> Fedora, those still using C4 need love, too.

>From what I can tell with 3 sites, the numbers are the following:

60%+ EL-3
30%+ EL-4
5%  + EL-5
5%  other.

The EL-3 is going down and EL-4/5 are going up... 5 with new systems
and 4 with 3 systems that have software that is now tested for them.
The big thing with Enterprise systems is that they are very slow to
make changes. For one government lab, EL-4 is just reaching what they
consider stable.. 5 will be after a couple of dot releases so that
they know if its going to have big changes like EL-4 did early on.

The EL-3 still has new systems coming up on them. Mostly because it is
very stable and they want all the mail-servers running the same OS
until they move the next set of hardware/software fixes which will
probably go to 4. And a whole large project which uses some of the
same software is going on the same cycle but needs stuff that they get
from EL-4 and compile to 3.