recruiting

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Mon Nov 26 08:54:43 UTC 2007

On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 06:40:26AM +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> If there are no other way around that, yes, then it IMHO is allowed, if
> you make sure other packages that depend on your ABI get updated/rebuild
> the same time. Ohh, and sending out a "heads up" to users and developers
> beforehand and when the update actually hits the proper repos as well
> would be good.

This seems to be a bit dangerous, in case a new version of the dependent
software or library is needed for th enew API. Otherwise said this could
lead to a forced update of the other packages that depend on that
library. This seems to me to be quite problematic, and not something we
should do.

If it happens by chance that we have to break API, then no problem,
but if we can forecast, at the time we introduce a library, that
there will be some API change, we won't be able to backport critical
fixes and it is possible for security issues to happen in the EPEL
lifetime, then it is a completly different issue, we are asking for
trouble.

--
Pat