EPEL-5 and RHEL 5.1 packages

Kevin Fenzi kevin at tummy.com
Tue Nov 13 19:40:59 UTC 2007

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 07:18:45 +0100
fedora at leemhuis.info (Thorsten Leemhuis) wrote:

> On 08.11.2007 23:27, Kyle Gonzales wrote:
> > On Nov 8, 2007 4:39 PM, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info>
> > wrote:

> >> And excludes all those contributers and users that don't have a
> >> RHEL license, as the resulting bits might lead to broken deps when
> >> one runs "yum update" on a CentOS machine right now (¹) with EPEL
> >> which depends on a lib that is shipped in the newly released RHEL
> >> update. Seems that's the case in the mail that started this thread.
> >> That would be totally unacceptable IMHO.
> > So... users that DO have a RHEL license will have to wait for CentOS
> > devels to do their thing before they can get new packages? [...]
>
> We don't have to; we can easily run a "cp -al 5 5.0" on the servers,
> put 5.1 on the builders and move on. Then users of CentOS or other
> clones as well as those RHEL-users that manually stick to 5.0 for a
> few days or week can use that repo. Some week later we can just
> delete the 5.0 directory.

Yeah, this would leave 5.0 people potentially open to missing a
security update, but thats not easily solved I don't think.

So, I would propose the following:

- Wait until centos 5.1 is released.
- cp -al 5 5.0 in epel repos, update builders to 5.1, start using 5.1.
- Wait a week
- rm -rf 5.0; link 5 and 5.0 to 5.1.

> CU
> knur