General thoughts on what EL linuxes are in use.

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 17:29:19 UTC 2007

So I have been looking over my current workplace and asking around at my old
places to get an idea about where things were.. and came up with the
following statistics.. which are really rough ended. I am trying to get
better numbers versus off the cuff.

Servers [~800 boxes across various sites [not counting clusters]]
EL-2    ~5%
EL-3    60%
EL-4    30%
EL-5    ~5%

The majority of EL-3 items are going to be in place for at least  2+ more
years with many of them probably going to EL-5 and some going to EL-4. It
usually depends on what the Enterprise software is supported for, how
comfortable the people are jumping to another version if they dont
absolutely have to, etc.

Workstations/Desktops [~300 or so]
EL-3   ~5%
EL-4   75%
EL-5   20%

EL-4 is going down and EL-5 is going up. The EL-3 are people who have a
desktop that needs to interact exactly with the code they have run on their
servers... and the desktops arent used much except for that.

Most of the clusters are at either EL-4 or going to EL-5 in their next
interaction and will be running on whatever they are based at for hardware
lifetime [~4 years] so that scientists are using the same code-bases. If
they need newer stuff they will go to the next cluster.

I started asking around yesterday after reading the Scientific Linux email
about them having to put EL-3 on life-support versus end-of-life because
several science projects have not been able to move to a newer code base and
might not until their next 'project' starts. It got me to think about what
EPEL software I could place where and when (beyond my desktop and 1-2
servers). The biggest realization was that I couldn't use FUNC for a while
because most of our systems will not work with it :). Sigh.