yum-cron and "permission to use spec files..." (was Re: Topics for todays (20071010) EPEL SIG meeting)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Oct 10 18:06:37 UTC 2007

On 10.10.2007 19:44, Dag Wieers wrote:

>> Seems this discussion died again. I'd say we leave it at that for a
>> another week or two until F8 is finished.
> Is it because my name was in that thread ?

No, definitely not -- I actually made a bit noise about that particular
topic months ago already somewhere before it came up again from your
mail. But the people we need to finally get a definite say are busy with
F8 atm and afaics.

But feel free to bring it up yourself on fedora-advisory-board right now
-- the list is open to everyone and there is nothing else I would do in
one or two weeks from now as well.

Further: I don't think the topic is that that critical -- as multiple
people said, Fedora spec files are meant to be free to be used and
modified by other parties. Some people even think that implicitly
clarified already as Fedora as a whole gets distributed under the GPL
(read that with a AFAICS, IANAL and "that's how I understood those people").

Even further: I would like to see it clarified, as I'm involved with
other repos as well that sometimes use Fedora spec files.

CU
knurd

P.S.:

> Because I think I see a pattern there :)

Come on, we are all adults here. Such sort of comments don't help.