yum-cron and "permission to use spec files..." (was Re: Topics for todays (20071010) EPEL SIG meeting)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Oct 17 16:11:19 UTC 2007

On 16.10.2007 21:16, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 20:06 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> Even further: I would like to see it clarified, as I'm involved with
>> other repos as well that sometimes use Fedora spec files.
> As just reported to fedora-advisory-board in the minutes, here is the
> bit from last week's Board meeting:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Board/Meetings/2007-10-09#Spec_File_Licenses
> Does that answer all open questions on the topic? [...]

No. If I want to open a Fedora- oder EPEL-competitor-repo tomorrow I
still can't be sure that nobody sues me when I take the Fedora spec
files as base for it, as it's not written down under what terms
precisely the spec files are available and reusable by other parties.

IOW: IANAL, but "Red Hat Legal says they should be as open and licensed
just like everything else" and '# Choice of license is either "same as
the package itself" or something extremely permissive like MIT/X11.'
doesn't sound like somethign that's legally binding.

The Board needs to say and write down "all spec files that don't mention
what they are licensed as are licensed under the MIT/X11 license." --
project contributers gave Red Hat / the Board the power to do something
like that afaik.

CU
knurd