testing -stable move

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon Oct 29 19:06:12 UTC 2007

On 29.10.2007 02:00, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> On 28.10.2007 14:28, buildsys at fedoraproject.org wrote:
>>> Packages built and released for Fedora EPEL 5: 268
>>>
>>> NEW abcde-2.3.99.6-3.el5 : A Better CD Encoder
>>>     abcde-2.3.99.6-4.el5
>>> NEW aget-0.4-3.el5 : Console download accelerator
>>>     amtterm-0.5-1.el5
>>>     amtterm-1.0-1.el5
>>>     arj-3.10.22-3.el5
>>> NEW aspell-sk-0.52-3.el5 : Slovak dictionaries for Aspell
>>>     audio-entropyd-1.0.0-4.el5.2
>>> NEW awstats-6.7-1.el5 : Advanced Web Statistics
>>> [...]
>> You might have guest from the amount of packages listed in the report:
>> a lot of packages were moved from testing/5/ to the proper epel5 repos.
> Is there a mandatory time period for which packages must stay in the
> testing repository?

Not discussed yet. I chose to not move those to stable that were totally
new but for updates I was more lacy.

I'd suggest this for the future:

- brand new packages need to stay in testing for at least 4 weeks (maybe 6?)

- we don't push any new packages to the testing repo one week before the
next big testing -> stable move

- we send a heads up to the maintainers next time during that week so
maintainers have a chance to say "no, don't move foo to stable because
of bug #foo"

> Otherwise I could build any number of packages a few
> hours before it gets mass moved into stable repository and those
> packages wouldn't have any chance for testing and feedback.

If you look at the report closer you'll notice that the packages that
were in the needsign queue from plague before that push got moved into
testing ;-)

But yeah, but the whole process still needs a bit of testing and fine
tuning :-)

CU
knurd