add to wishlist: rsyslog

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Thu Sep 27 18:10:45 UTC 2007

On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 09:56:25PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> >It looks like Fedora is moving towards rsyslog, it's already in the
> >development tree, it would be nice to have it in EPEL.
>
> Done.

I already use it (1.18.0-1) on a RHEL5 system, seems to work ok.

The package has to be adapted on a few places to allow it to be installed
along with sysklogd (I guess that should be the goal?).  What I did:

-  Provides and Obsoletes lines have to be disabled.
-  Chang "2345" to "-" in the init script (not started by default)
-  Comment out all line in the logrotate file (conflicts with sysklogd).
-  Don't execute the migration stuff (mv's) in %post.

Then it can be installed together with sysklogd and when someone wants
to enable it, one has to do:

-  chkconfig syslog off
-  chkconfig rsyslog on
-  comment out lines in syslog logrotate file
-  uncomment lines in rsyslog logrotate file

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>