yum-cron and CentOS

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 17:53:35 UTC 2007

On 9/6/07, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
> On 06.09.2007 15:08, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> >> z00dax in #centos-devel made me aware of a issue: EPEL5-testing contains
> >> a yum-cron package since a few days which replaces the package with the
> >> same name from CentOS-base.
> >>
> >> As we try to not conflict with CentOS-base I'd say we go the same route
> >> as we did for yum in EPEL4 -- ship the CentOS package with a lower EVR;
> >> then users that want to use the package on RHEL5 can use it while we
> >> don't disturb CenOS.
> >>
> >> Comments?
> >
> > Its a package in CentOS-base but not RHEL?
> >

> Yes:
>
> [root at dhcp-200 ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5 (Tikanga)
> [root at dhcp-200 ~]# yum list yum* | grep cron
> [root at dhcp-200 ~]#
>
> http://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/centos/5.0/os/x86_64/CentOS/yum-cron-0.1-1.el5.centos.noarch.rpm
>
> One of course could argue "If CentOS wants to be 100% compatible to RHEL
> then they should not add something to their Base OS that's not strictly
> needed" -- but I suppose some people would send out the Nijas after
> someone that dares to say that.
>
> /me hides

yum-cron was added to CentOS-5 at the recommendation of the yum
maintainer Seth Vidal. At that time yum-updatesd was blowing up to 256 MB
at times which was enough to cause some boxes to go into swap heaven..
his recommendation was to just include yum-cron as it was what people
expected to have.

Shirt-ninja #200