OCaml 3.10.2

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Tue Aug 26 12:41:12 UTC 2008

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 11:41:24PM -0500, Michael Stahnke wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 5:24 PM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> That's another possibility.  But I've never seen a working parallel
>>> OCaml compiler install.  It's definitely not as easy as it is with gcc
>>> to do parallel / compat installs ...  A question for upstream, I
>>> think.
>>>
> [...]
>
> So I asked upstream and the situation is quite complicated.  Basically
> there are two possible ways to do this:
>
> (1) We could have a separate subdirectory, like this:
>
>   /usr/bin/* for the default compiler
>   /usr/libexec/ocaml-3.10.2/* for the non-default compiler
>
> Users would need to set the $PATH before compiling.  This solution
> looks like it will suck a lot.
>
> (2) We could rename the compiler binaries, like:
>
>   /usr/bin/ocamlc
>   /usr/bin/ocamlopt
>         (etc. -- there are about 20 binaries that need renaming)
>   /usr/bin/ocamlc-3.10.2
>   /usr/bin/ocamlopt-3.10.2
>         (etc.)
>
> Users would need to modify their build scripts to pick the correct
> compiler.  This solution also sucks, and is even more error-prone
> than (1).

How about installing a package with  /usr/bin/ocamlc -3.09.3,
/usr/bin/ocamlopt-3.09.3 , etc, another one with /usr/bin/ocamlc-3.10.2,
/usr/bin/ocamlopt-3.10.2, etc.  and usin alternatives to switch among
the two by doing

ln -s  /usr/bin/ocamlc -3.09.3  /usr/bin/ocamlc (and so on) or
ln -s  /usr/bin/ocamlc-3.10.2 /usr/bin/ocamlc

?

--
     Manuel Wolfshant       linux registered user #131416
        IT manager    NoBug Consulting SRL