RHEL 5.3 and rpmdevtools

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sun Dec 28 11:15:52 UTC 2008

On Saturday 27 December 2008, Jon Stanley wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 4:44 PM, Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta at iki.fi> wrote:
> > That's what I'd do for a usual less crucial update, but in this case, as
> > mentioned in bug 466939, having an old rpmdevtools release installed will
> > break/prevent upgrading to 5.3 if the new one is not available.
>
> How about we simply apply the patch that Panu suggested in the current
> version so the conflict is gone (i.e. identical md5sum between RHEL
> rpm-build and EPEL rpmdevtools), and wait to push this new version
> until after 5.3.

Yeah, on a 2nd thought, this is probably be the best approach.  I'll look into
it.  Differing timestamps on multiply owned files don't cause conflicts, they
just show up in "rpm -V" output, right?

> What else has changed?

Over 2 years of bug fixes and enhancements, too much to list here.  But it's
roughly [0] what's in %changelog between Oct 25 2006 and today in
https://fedorahosted.org/rpmdevtools/browser/rpmdevtools.spec?rev=b0fe7d36a6532d2e594d87e9abb7eeef403c25ee

[0] Some changes that aren't "backwards compatible enough" and thus
inappropriate for EL have been omitted, and some additional backwards compat
things have been added.