xerces-c soname bump

Xavier Bachelot xavier at bachelot.org
Tue Feb 12 08:44:56 UTC 2008

Peter Lemenkov wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> 2008/2/12, Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta at iki.fi>:
>> On Monday 11 February 2008, buildsys at fedoraproject.org wrote:
>>> Packages built and released for Fedora EPEL testing/5: 7
>> [...]
>>>     xerces-c-2.8.0-1.el5
>>>
>>> Packages built and released for Fedora EPEL testing/4: 5
>> [...]
>>>     xerces-c-2.8.0-1.el4
>> This is a soname bump from libxerces-c.so.27 to libxerces-c.so.28, and looks
>> like it would break at least enigma, gdal, ovaldi, perl-XML-Xerces and
>> xalan-c, not to mention local packages and other local builds.
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/GuidelinesAndPolicies#head-b2927ee315835820eecc0883d05df0e1658ac388
>> (soname bump is an ABI change)
>>
>> I haven't seen even a "HEADS UP" mail about this.  Without a very good reason,
>> this is far from acceptable in EPEL.
>
> Agree - it should be dropped from EPEL-testing.
>
>> BTW, looks like this update is on its way to Fedora too, it'll break even more
>> packages there.  And not even a heads up mail seen on fedora-devel either.
>>
>> Please explain?

I was about to post something along the same line and I actually mailed
perl-XML-Xerces upstream yesterday. There is no perl-XML-Xerces version
that can be compiled against xerces-c-2.8.0 and there won't be in the
near future.
http://marc.info/?l=xerces-p-dev&m=120277940726111&w=2

> Sorry for this. I just forgot to mention about this incompatibility
> during mass rebuilds for gcc4.3. I'll revoke requests for update from
> F-7 and F-8 ASAP.
>
> I want to keep new version for devel-branch though.

Even if the soname bump is a no-no for EPEL, there's no way to update
the perl package in Fedora either, so I'd be very grateful if the
xerces-c update never hits Fedora stable. I don't really care about
devel, but the perl package will likely remain broken there until
xerces-3.0.

Regards,
Xavier