xerces-c soname bump

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Tue Feb 12 10:33:37 UTC 2008

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 09:45:20 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> On 12.02.2008 09:11, Peter Lemenkov wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> [...]
> >> This is a soname bump from libxerces-c.so.27 to libxerces-c.so.28, and looks
> >> like it would break at least enigma, gdal, ovaldi, perl-XML-Xerces and
> >> xalan-c, not to mention local packages and other local builds.
> >> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/GuidelinesAndPolicies#head-b2927ee315835820eecc0883d05df0e1658ac388
> >> (soname bump is an ABI change)
> >> I haven't seen even a "HEADS UP" mail about this.
>
> Hopefully sooner or later Fedora and EPEL get tests script that notice
> such things before they hit the repo :-/

Remember that with Plague successful builds enter the buildroot repos, so
even if they are not pushed, they can break the buildroots and can also
cause other builds to become incompatible meanwhile. It's better if
maintainers check for ABI- and API-breakage prior to building such
packages. Especially, since a repoclosure check would only noticed changed
SONAMEs and not other changes in a library interface (such as removed
symbols, signatures).