dep checker script

Kevin Fenzi kevin at tummy.com
Mon Feb 25 16:47:02 UTC 2008

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 12:43:45 +0100
fedora at leemhuis.info (Thorsten Leemhuis) wrote:

> On 15.02.2008 20:39, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 15:37:47 +0100
> > fedora at leemhuis.info (Thorsten Leemhuis) wrote:
> >> How long does it take to run? I'd say if it doesn't consume to many
> >> resources it'd say at least two, better three times a week. Once a
> >> week is the minimum I'd say.
> > Looks like it takes about 5min here.
> > I would say once a week is enough... unless the broken deps are in
> > stable, then instead of running it more, I think we just go and try
> > and fix them or contact the maintainer via email/irc/phone to fix
> > them.
>
> If it really takes only a few minutes to run I'd much prefer to run it
> right after every push -- that way packagers normally will get a
> feedback closely after they realized a change.

Well, or if we are going to do that, we could add in the needsign queue
and run it before a push? Or just do that and make it a policy to never
push a package with broken deps?

> If we do it only once a week the worst case might be around 11 days (7
> days between runs + 4 days from needsign to repo) between doing a
> change on foo and getting a mail that "foo broke the world". That's
> to long IMHO.

Sure, I guess...

> >> For EPEL we afaics need to run it one without testing and once
> >> with. Only then we notice if a dep is broken in stable and only
> >> then people will tell the signers to push a new build to stable
> >> quickly to fix the issue properly.
> > Sure, but hopefully the stable run is empty usually.
>
> And if not we quickly should do something. Even in testing there are
> to many broken deps. :-/

Agreed. So, perhaps we should talk about just making it a policy to
never push a package with broken deps, and remove the ones that are
currently in testing with broken deps.

> CU
> knurd

kevin