Branching libevent for EL-4

Ruben Kerkhof ruben at rubenkerkhof.com
Thu Jan 24 21:30:37 UTC 2008

On 24 jan 2008, at 22:01, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:

> [wolfy at wolfy ~]$ rpmdev-vercmp libevent-1.1a-3.21 libevent-1.1a-1.el5
> 0:libevent-1.1a-3.21 is newer
> [wolfy at wolfy ~]$ rpmdev-vercmp libevent-1.1a-3.21 libevent-1.1a-1.el4
> 0:libevent-1.1a-3.21 is newer
>
> Obviously 3 (from 3.21) > 1 (from 1.dist) so I guess your approach
> would work. But are you willing to loose the "3.21" from the name ?

Yeah, replacing 3.2.1 by a single number and a disttag has my
preference.

I'm a bit confused about the history of this package. I think it's an
old Fedora Extras package imported in RHEL at one time.
Here's the Changelog:

%changelog
* Wed Jul 12 2006 Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> - sh: line 0:
fg: no job control
- rebuild

* Fri Feb 10 2006 Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> - 1.1a-3.2
- bump again for double-long bug on ppc(64)

* Tue Feb 07 2006 Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> - 1.1a-3.1
- rebuilt for new gcc4.1 snapshot and glibc changes

* Tue Jan 24 2006 Warren Togami <wtogami at redhat.com> - 1.1a-3
- rebuild (#177697)

* Mon Jul 04 2005 Ralf Ertzinger <ralf at skytale.net> - 1.1a-2
- Removed unnecessary -r from rm

* Fri Jun 17 2005 Ralf Ertzinger <ralf at skytale.net> - 1.1a-1
- Upstream update

* Wed Jun 08 2005 Ralf Ertzinger <ralf at skytale.net> - 1.1-2
- Added some docs
- Moved "make verify" into %%check

* Mon Jun 06 2005 Ralf Ertzinger <ralf at skytale.net> - 1.1-1
- Initial build for Fedora Extras, based on the package
   by Dag Wieers

If someone still has that old package installed on RHEL4, and I make
my version 1.1.1%{?dist}, my version will be older.
Maybe another solution is to keep the same version as on RHEL5 (and
not use a disttag).
But that way, I can't update my package or I'll break the upgrade
path...

Ruben