Do you want to be part of the EPEL steering committee?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 00:59:46 UTC 2008

On Jan 29, 2008 2:07 PM, Michael Schwendt <bugs.michael at gmx.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 12:28:46 -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>
> > By the way, could someone give me some tips (as in hey dumb-ass why
> > havent you read this and  this most obvious that)on 'replicating' the
> > build system with plague. I need to make a set of EL-3 ones and I
> > might as well experiment on my own first to see what the work load for
> > this would be.
>
> EL-3 as the host or target system? As the host sys it might be that some
> requirements are too old (pyOpenSSL maybe?) or n/a.

Sorry target system. All the sites I help with are still primarily
EL-3 so I am going to play with setting up an EL-5 bot that will
basically take Fedora SRPMS, subtract the packages that don't exist in
EL-3, and recompiling them and then putting them in an 'alpha'
channel. From there I will promote the ones that I need to a 'beta'
and focus on them. Those ready will move to a gamma channel. Old
packages will be moved to an delta channel, and retired to an epsilon
channel. I figure if I get it working.. and from the notes I need for
it, I can self-publish a PDF book to be sold on Lulu.

> Some documentation is in the packages, a few more pages are in the
> Wiki (I just noticed I don't know them):
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Projects/Plague
>
> EL-4: http://mschwendt.fedorapeople.org/plague/plague-0.4.4.1-10.el4.src.rpm
> EL-5: http://mschwendt.fedorapeople.org/plague/plague-0.4.4.1-10.el5.src.rpm
> are basically what the EPEL build machines run.
>
> The various noarch packages are:
>   plague-client
>   plague-common
>   plague-builder
>   plague-utils : for certhelper, user-manager
>   plague : the server
>
> Hints? Start the builder and server services as early as possible to let
> them write the default config files once. When they fail to start during
> configuration attempts, they either complain on console or in the logs
> (/var/log/plague*). Starting the server programs manually may be helpful
> (e.g. /usr/bin/plague-builder -c /etc/plague/builder/plague-builder.cfg
> instead of "service plague-builder start") till the config files and
> target files are set up. The www files are only in the source tarball.

Thanks.