BUG: clamav packages badly broken

Wed Jan 2 12:46:35 UTC 2008

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 21:13:49 -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

>>> Doesn't yum-updatesd?
>
> And together with the implementation and the metadata problems, it causes
> quite some problems. I've seen many users who were annoyed when they found
> out that yum refuses to run because something in the background blocked it.
>
> Fortunately, here I cannot get it to start anymore currently (F-8):
>
> # yum -y install yum-updatesd
> # service yum-updatesd start
> Starting yum-updatesd:                                     [  OK  ]
> [...]
> # service yum-updatesd start
> Starting yum-updatesd:                                     [  OK  ]
> [...]
> # service yum-updatesd start
> Starting yum-updatesd:                                     [  OK  ]
> [...]
> # service yum-updatesd status
> yum-updatesd dead but subsys locked
> #
> # /usr/sbin/yum-updatesd -d
> #
>
>> Yes and other packages (many more in the past)...
>
> There is absolutely no need to enable the service in the package
> already. It could also be enabled by the installer or in firstboot code.
> Currently, it's not that the service is started when the package is
> installed, it is started only after reboot.

OK ... people can argue about this until we are all blue in the face.

The real answer, however is what your customers want.

People who routinely do not give their customers what they want find
themselves without any customers.

SO, I would think long and hard about such flaming comments as I have
seen on this thread.

If you don't care much for/about your customers, eventually you won't
have to.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes