permission to use spec files in other projects

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jan 15 21:21:44 UTC 2008

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> Which CLA? The one I signed in the early Fedora days is not the one that
> is available today. There are afaik even today different CLAs for Red
> Hat, IBM, Dell and community contributers -- I don't know what's written
> in them.  And I don't known which of those is binding if I take
> something from Fedora.

These don't differ as far as spec files are concerned IIUC. If you need
further clarification on that, you need to ask that explicitly to the
board.

>> We consulted with legal before on whether we can explain the CLA better
>> in another document and the legal opinion was that if any clarifications
>> are necessary, it should done within the CLA itself and not in a
>> separate document as any contradictions are considered risky IIRC.
>> However I think you can point this out in the EPEL FAQ for example in
>> this way:
>
> I'm not going to put any legal statement anywhere. That is exactly what
> we have the Board for and that's why I asked the Board to handle that.

It is not a separate legal statement. It is a direct quote from the CLA
and the board has explicitly said that documenting this in the wiki is
ok for them.

Rahul