Unstable EPEL? (frequent package updates)

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 18:16:58 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 1:23 AM, Felix Schwarz
<felix.schwarz at oss.schwarz.eu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in the past few months there were quite a few packages in EPEL
> which got version updates. This has come to a point where I
> seriously doubt my understanding of the EPEL policy.
>
> Rahul Sundaram wrote [1]:
> "The simple rule: Don't release an update unless absolutely necessary.
> This is to avoid regressions."

Ok the big problem is that there are multiple types of users for EPEL,
and each group seems to wax and wane in asking for things. Several
months ago, the people who wanted to have newer stuff regularly versus
once a quarter asked and got enough push to get it done. Now we are
approaching the other side and the people who want it once a quarter
or never are asking for things... the problem is that the basic build
system and controls are limited in scope of what can be accomplished.
I would love to be able to have different channels for each of the
types of releases that people want, but everyone wants something
different.

In the end, we had few volunteers/packages and many more "we want
X"'ers than we could handle when we did quarterly releases. We moved
to a monthly schedule and we have more volunteers/packages and can
handle more of the "We want X" people. However, this does not work
well for various sites. How to solve this problem is really hard, and
I am not sure anyone has come up with a solution that more than 1 or 2
other people want to try.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux