More about EPEL unstable

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 23:26:05 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 4:49 PM, Miguel Filho <miguel.filho at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I'm a new comer to the Red Hat world. I have been using Debian and
> derivatives for many years, but for the past 3 months I have been
> working on a 100% Fedora shop. So I still consider myself an outsider,
> even though  I suppose that I can improve the conversation about
> EPEL's future.

Thanks for the feedback.. sorry it took me a while to come back to this.

> Follow the RHEL release cycle.

The question is which release cycle. There are several.

Big release cycle:
RHEL-2,3,4,5 which have an average release time of 20 months between
versions. [By this estimate RHEL-6 would be released in October of
2008, but my guess is it would be later than that.]

Small release cycle:

RHEL-4.0, 4.1,.. 4.6, 4.7
RHEL-5.0, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3

these are released every 6 months or so.

> Freeze EPEL. Update packages to fix important/security bugs. No major version.
>
> During this freeze, work on the unstable branch, upgrading those
> packages that really need a re-base due to many reasons already
> discussed on the other thread, small version upgrades when possible.
> New packages. Just do what RH does.
>
> New RHEL released. Push the new stuff to EPEL 'current' and make a
> release note about it, reporting packages that have been removed,
> upgraded, changed behavior, etc. Then the cycle begins again.
>
> I call this a "semi-distribution" release or something like that.
>
> I really see this as a win-win situation:
> - Changes are predicted and almost at the same time of a major release.
> - There is room for upgrades and they can be tested. Open a window for
> accepting new stuff then close it.
> - You have a test server, upgrade to 5.3 following the packages from
> EPEL. Everything OK? Then go to the production servers and just relax
> for the next 6 months since every single repository is NOT going to
> put a new version of any package.
>
> And seriously, IMHO there is NO WAY to keep EPEL up to Fedora or to
> every upstream package.
>
> What do you think?

This was exactly what the original EPEL was looking to try. The
problem was that there were probably 3-5 people who were willing to
work on the unstable stuff and requests for hundred's and hundred's of
packages... and lots of requests for newer stuff than what was in
EPEL.  Stability is hard.. its why few people work on Debian Stable
and people pay Novell, Red Hat etc for their long life releases.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux