Stupid question

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jul 15 13:27:54 UTC 2008

Jon Ciesla wrote:
> So if, say, I maintain a package that goes into RHEL, I can expect a new
> co-maintainer?

I don't know if there is any rule that there should be. I doubt we have
any process to force that or past experience to count on but I expect
any maintainer in RHEL to want to participate in the maintenance of the
branches in Fedora too. Otherwise between a few years of jump between
RHEL releases, they would not have much insight into the changes that go
upstream and resulting feedback from end users which would be a critical
thing when they get to own it for a particular RHEL release for 7 years
or so.

> Perfectly logical. So if it's already in EL-4 and EL-5, we just don't
> branch for EL-6.  I get it.

Usually yes, sometimes packages are added/dropped in between releases
and if someone finds those important they can continue to maintain it
for Fedora and EPEL.

Rahul