Can we do both testing->stable moves on the same day?

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed Jun 4 19:08:12 UTC 2008

Michael DeHaan wrote:
> I had an email from a user who was a bit confused as to why a package
> was updated for EL-5 and not EL-4.
>
> Updating both on the same day would perhaps resolve this.
>
> (The quick answer is to just use EPEL testing, though I think that
> would reduce confusion and be a bit easier to follow)
>
> --Michael

Actually I have an example of how this (not updating in parallel) can
break folks.

If someone is running an EL-5 cobbler server and is using koan on EL-4
(or vice versa) sometimes I need to update them both to reflect an API
change.     If both are set to yum update, the client and server can't
talk to each other.

In fact, this is what the user reported on the list, he noticed it after
updating via yum -- he got one and not the other.

--Michael