Can we do both testing->stable moves on the same day?

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Jun 14 11:59:35 UTC 2008

On 12.06.2008 16:53, Michael Stahnke wrote:
>> As RHEL/CentOS users are used to the RHEL update style I'd say updating EPEL
>> packages in RHEL style is the safest bet.
> What is the RHEL style now?  They have 5.1.x and 5.2.  5.2 has new
> features, 5.1.x keeps the same ABI.
 > If RH can't decide, we're going to have difficulties also.

The z-Streams (x.y.z) are nothing new, they existed for a longer time
already and EPEL afaics ignores them (at least right now).

New "features" like major new Firefox/OpenOffice Versions iirc happened
in the past already now and then. But that were just a few hand-selected
desktop-packages. The only thing that afaics really is new in 5.2: a
gtkhtml update broke the ABI. Okay, that changes things a bit, but it's
just one out of thousand packages and likely a special exception (and
such exceptions are allowed in EPEL as well).

So IMHO not much changed. And the major differences between Fedora- and
RHEL-style are still very much obvious IMHO if one leaves those few
special cases aside.

CU
knurd