puppet 0.24.2

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 16:07:30 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 4:59 AM, Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip at kanarip.com> wrote:
> Michael Stahnke wrote:
>  > Do you test every update before you automatically apply it to
>  > production systems?
>
>  Fedora? Yes. EL? No. I wouldn't bluntly yum -d0 -e0 -y update, but
>  testing the updates before applying them just doesn't scale very well.
>  Sure we freeze versions etc, and we might need to do so for puppet as
>  well. I'll get it to work, eventually, one way or the other.
>

>     I know my enterprise sure does.  While normally
>  > updates are harmless, I have seen RHEL updates (the ones we pay for)
>  > that have erased /var/named, edited /etc/syslog.conf and probably a
>  > lot more stuff that I can't recall off the top of my head.
>
>  Admittedly, I've seen this kind of thing too. You do agree that's a bad
>  thing, right?

I agree its bad, but I know that its going to happen no matter how
diligent Red Hat is in testing things... and so I need to be prepared
to deal with it.

>    If you
>  > suicide update, I don't think it's very fair to get mad at the
>  > volunteers trying to provide you software.  Yes, it was a bug in
>  > puppet.  I understand this.  They shipped it, we packaged it.
>  >

>  Don't misunderstand me, I'm not mad. Honestly though, I /did/ get mad
>  (confused over my own ignorance if you will), and I realized I can't
>  direct that at volunteers (dlutter at redhat.com is the maintainer in this
>  case?). However, I /do/ want to find out if and how we can avoid this
>  kind of thing happening again in the future. Most packages live in
>  Fedora for a while, before they get pushed anywhere else. That process
>  proved itself to work quite well.

Someone should have caught this in epel-testing. However, I am not
sure we have enough people using it for it to be 'useful' in all
cases. It would be great if we had a formal test-buddy for every
package that said "Tested package, ran through results, and works for
me." but we currently do not. If you can help out on this with puppet
it would be appreciated.