Bootstraping a package

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Thu Mar 20 16:37:23 UTC 2008

On Thursday 20 March 2008, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 9:23 AM, Lubomir Kundrak <lkundrak at redhat.com>
wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >  Would anyone be angry at me if I bootstrapped a package by encapsulating
> >  a binary rpm into srpm, importing it in CVS, building, and then
> >  rebuilding against itself?
> >
> >  (The package in question is OpenJDK, which will be ready in a few days;
> >  hopefully one or two. It needs either itself or gcj 1.5.0 to build, and
> >  currently we only have gcj 1.4.2).
>
> Hmmm.. I do not know enough about standards and procedures to say if I
> would be angry. If its ok with Jesse or Mike McGrath I would say ok.
> In either case, make sure you capture the steps in a bugzilla or some
> sort of 'issue-tracker' so if we need to revisit or recreate its
> covered.

We have in the past allowed binary blobs for bootstrapping.  for instance fpc
needed fpc to build.  So it would be ok.  you would need to document how the
boot strapping works.  so that it could be reproduced.  Ideally with some
marcos and documentation in the spec  so that if we add a new arch it can be
brought up quickly.  Since i look after the buildsystem I think i can say
that its ok.

Dennis