Gearing up to start maintaining EPEL packages.. any pointers?

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Fri Mar 21 20:42:30 UTC 2008

On 03/21/2008 10:32 PM, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 11:14 AM, Manuel Wolfshant
> <wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro <mailto:wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro>> wrote:
>
>     /me hoping to see istanbul arriving in EPEL and reiterating the
>     offer to
>     do the monkey work for that
>

> Right... istanbul.  I wasn't going to start with that.  I have to take
> a close look at what gstreamer is available for each epel branch.  I
> do remember that gstreamer 0.10  good plugins was missing the
> necessary video capture module in at least one Fedora release, which
> has consequences on which istanbul codebase version that has to be used.
>
> Not to diss istanbul or anything, but the gstreamer framework
> complicates things. Have you look at the other option in this area...
> gtk-recordmydesktop and recordmydesktop... which does not rely on gst
> at all and is using libraries directly.  I haven't made a comparison
> myself, but I'm concerned that the gst framework might make istanbul
> problematic to maintain for EPEL.
I was in a hurry and recompiling istanbul + python-xlib for centos
5/i386 took < 30 min so i did not look at recordmydesktop (despite the
fact that I've done "cvs co recordmydesktop" immediately after "cvs co
istanbul" but before "make srpm istanbul"). These are the versions I
packaged and used :
-rw-r--r-- 1 wolfy mock    236319 2008-03-19 11:21
python-xlib-0.13-3.el5.noarch.rpm
-rw-r--r-- 1 wolfy mock    111734 2008-03-19 11:35
istanbul-0.2.2-6.el5.i386.rpm