Call for committee seat members: open seats?

Andy Gospodarek gospo at redhat.com
Mon Mar 24 22:16:22 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 03:32:27PM -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 6:40 AM, Andy Gospodarek <gospo at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 07:45:15PM -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> >  > Currently the EPEL committee page has a problem with it: There is one
> >  > empty seat and Karsten Wade is listed twice :). I would like to
> >  > correct both issues..
> >  >
> >  > Mike McGrath (mmcgrath)
> >  > Michael Stahnke (stahnma)
> >  > Kevin Fenzi (nirik)
> >  > Karsten Wade (quaid)
> >  > Jeff Sheltren (Jeff_S)
> >  > Stephen J Smoogen (smooge) (Chair)
> >  > # there is one vacant seat right now
> >  >
> >  > 1) Is someone supposed to be listed, and isnt :)
> >  > 2) We would like to elect a new standing member next meeting (20080326)
> >  >
> >  > Currently Xavier Lamien has asked to be a member of the committee..
> >  > and I want to make sure if there is anyone else who would like to be a
> >  > member.
> >  >

> >  I would be interested and can probably make some time for it.
> >

> Hi, thank you for your interest. Could you put up a general:
>
> Who you are, what work you are currently doing with EPEL (packages
> maintained, working in infrastructure etc), and can you make Wednesday
> 1800 UTC meetings?
>
> Thanks again.

Sure thing, here goes.

As of right now, I maintain a whopping one package in EPEL, wiggle.
It's a tool that is helpful for doing backports from upstream code to
code that has been forked because it can take patches an apply the
changes in a word-based manner rather than a line-based one like patch.
The main reason I wanted to get it included was to integrate it with a
tool I've been (slowly) developing to help automate the backport
process.  This will mainly be useful for me in my day job (which is
backporting network drivers for RHEL), but it should be useful for anyone
who needs to cherry-pick upstream fixes back to a frozen version of code
on a regular basis.

Anyway, I'm a huge fan of EPEL and have started to encourage many of our
partners to consider using it as a delivery mechanism for their tools if
they would like our mutual customers to have easy access to them.  I'd
like to see our partners become heavily involved in Fedora and EPEL, so
I was hoping that I could get involved with the committee and help out.