Error: Missing Dependency: libc.so.6(GLIBC_PRIVATE)

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Thu Mar 27 20:05:42 UTC 2008

> petro at localhost RPMS $ rpm -U i386/erlang-R12B-1.0.i386.rpm  --test
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         libc.so.6(GLIBC_PRIVATE) is needed by erlang-R12B-1.0.i386
> petro at localhost RPMS $
>
> What is GLIBC_PRIVATE and what should I do to fix this issue?

This means erlang has linked against a libc symbol it should not have.
Check each binary with "eu-readelf -s foo | fgrep GLIBC_PRIVATE".  In
the offending binaries, you will see some UNDEF lines for some named
symbol at GLIBC_PRIVATE.  From there you'll have to look into the program
to see why it referred to that symbol.

Thanks,
Roland