sponsorship from RH ?

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Sun May 25 15:26:06 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-05-25 at 17:56 +0300, Balint Cristian wrote:
> > You should consider using CentOS. [1]
> > It's 99.9% compatible with RHEL.
>

> 1) How about stuff in .specs:
> if %{dist?} == rhl5 , rhl4 ?!

Spaces are the same.

> 2) How about updates,  RHEL have a really
> fancy update schema.

CentOS needs ~2-3 days to rebuild and push RHEL updates.
(CentOS 5.2 should be out in two weeks)

> 3) And most important  how about further
> reporting bugs to bugzilla (e.g now i have an
> issue with expat in rhel5 i am lazy to report that
> it missbehave from one update to another,
> i even cannot properly test it on my fedora desk,
> i doubt that CentOS is so in sync with RHEL.

Issues w/ CentOS should be reported to CentOS.
Issues w/ EPEL should be reported to redhat.

> And my list can continue ....
>
> In my opinion its not the same, in fact if i will get
> bug report i am not quite sure in some circumstances
> i will be able reproduce it on CentOS, it even sounds
> strange if i Re: to that bz# that "on my CentOS it works
> and compile fine" ...

Let me put this way, we (as in my team) develop on CentOS and deploy on
RHEL. (Mostly because CentOS is a far better desktop OS compared to RHEL
Server)
Thus far, we've only encountered a single CentOS specific bug.

>  Well than i can renounce and be happy with Fedora.
>
>    I thinked to buy one, but since i am happy with fedora
> just for this task i would like to spend money, i will end
> up working on something wich i am not paid at all and
> on top of top issues i pay for anual subscriptions :D
>

> Best Regards,
> Cristian.

- Gilboa