incompatible packaging between EPEL and DAG/rpmforge

David Mansfield epel at dm.cobite.com
Tue May 27 15:05:09 UTC 2008

For years I've been really happy with the combo of Centos +
DAG/rpmforge.  But now that I need EPEL for git rpms, there are a number
of painful conflicts appearing between EPEL and DAG/rpmforge.  Since
DAG/rpmforge has been the gold standard for add-ons for years prior to
EPEL, I think it would be great to eliminate these conflicts.

If possible, I'd like to know what I can do to help fix these.

Currently, my issue is with perl-DateTime, but perl-Error has also been
a thorn which was only resolved with some ugly '--force' action.

The perl-DateTime RPM is currently showing 0.41, however it wants to
replace my version from rpmforge which is 0.42.

I don't know why, but when doing a '--provides' on the two packages, the
EPEL one shows:

perl-DateTime = 1:0.41-1.el5

and the rpmforge one shows:

perl-DateTime = 0.42-1.el5.rf

So yum would like to replace this one because of the '1:', I presume.
I'm not even sure what the '1:' indicates.

Also, the rpmforge packaging has split the locale and timezone stuff
into separate packages, whereas the EPEL one hasn't, and this causes
more conflicts for yum.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks,
David