pushing packages to stable

Alan Pevec apevec at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 20:03:46 UTC 2008

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 24.10.2008 16:38, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
>> Yesterday a request to move a package to stable early was made.  I
>> denied it because the reason given was "due to popular customer
>> demand"  there is no way to measure that. and the next stable push
>> will be just over a week away.

That was perfectly valid answer and I didn't complain.
For the reference here is my request and some background so you don't need
to talk about "a package", it's very concrete situation:

collectd has been sitting in EPEL testing for a while now, latest bugfix
> release build is
> http://buildsys.fedoraproject.org/build-status/job.psp?uid=510
> Due to popular customer demand, please move it into the EPEL proper at
> your next convenience.

Thing is that we've not seen collectd reaching EPEL proper, it was first
built in EPEL by rjones in August, then I did two minor bugfix release in
September and last one was few days ago.
Until now I hoped this rule applies:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/FAQ#I_built_a_package_and_plague_lists_it_as_part_of_the_needsign-queue._What_do_I_need_to_do_to_get_the_package_into_EPEL.3F

> Just wait. The packages from the needsign queue get pushed by the
> epel-signers to the testing repos about two to four times a week. Packages
> from testing are normally automatically moved to the stable repos at the
> beginning of the next month.

Since collectd already missed two montly updates, I was concerned that it
would be missed again, hence I brought this to epel_signers attention - I'm
sorry for not being clear enough in my request.

Re. popular customer demand - if more than 1 customer asks about, I consider
it popular, that's my metrics. What's yours?