Plan for tomorrows EPEL meeting - 2009-12-11

BJ Dierkes wdierkes at 5dollarwhitebox.org
Fri Dec 11 22:30:00 UTC 2009

On Dec 10, 2009, at 11:14 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 21:37:34 -0600
> Michael Stahnke <mastahnke at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Probably not the best topic as it's been beaten a bit, but can we
>> update some stuff?  If it's a non ABI/API breakage, can I update a
>> package to add new features/fix bugs (not security related)?
>
> Yes, I think this is quite allowed.
>
> We want to avoid:
>
> - abi/api breakage.
> - config file changes that can't be fixed up in the package.
> - large behavior changes
>
> So, just bugfixes and new features are fine, IMHO as long as they don't
> change things enough to cause problems with existing users.

Agreed, the discussion previously was about incompatible source version upgrades...  and the overall decision was that it would only ever be allowed if it was the only sane way to resolve a security issue (i.e. the branch is dead upstream, and trying to backport/patch would do more harm than good.).  If there is no known compatibility issues with upping the source there shouldn't be a problem.

> (all of this is of course, IMHO).

Same here.

---
derks