meetings and some issues

Kevin Fenzi kevin at tummy.com
Mon Feb 16 20:33:20 UTC 2009

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 16:49:20 -0700
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/2/9 Kevin Fenzi <kevin at tummy.com>:
> > Greetings.
> >
> > Since we haven't had an epel meeting in quite a while, I would like
> > to revisit the idea of a new meeting time. Perhaps we could setup a
> > table in the wiki for people to fill in and choose the best time
> > that way? Or perhaps someone would like to suggest a time?
>
> Thanks Kevin.

No problem. I think meetings are good if only for bringing issues up...

> > Some issues that are pending that we can just discuss here:
> >
> > - Did we ever decide to make a epel-announce list? I think this
> > might be good still to send important announcements about packages
> > or other changes that end epel users should be notified of. I am
> > not sure, but we could also send the package update announcements
> > there (might be too much traffic tho, perhaps just the stable ones?)
>
> It was tabled to be discussed on list. I am for it.

Yeah, I think I am too. Perhaps I should just go request one.

> > - Orphans. We have the following orphan packages. Some of them are
> > more 'retired', but we should look at trying to find owners for the
> > ones that can still be maintained.
> >
> > abcde
> > aget
> > cd-discid
> > csync2
> > cvs2cl
> > cvsps
> > freetennis
> > gkrellm
> > gkrellm-volume
> > gtkhtml38
> > libid3tag
> > libmodplug
> > mach
> > otrs
> > pytz
> > redet
> > redet-doc
> > svn2cl
>
> Hmmm I though otrs just got put in.

I think it was orphaned, someone else picked it up, but then I don't
know if they have done much with it. Perhaps they only picked up the
non EPEL branches.

> > - Bugs. We are now just over 100 epel bugs. This is no good, IMHO.
> > Would it be possible to get some interested folks to dig through
> > these and see about fixing easy ones/poking maintainers/doing
> > something to move them along. Especially in the case where it's a
> > missing dep.
>
> > https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?product=Fedora
> > EPEL&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=MODIFIED&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=ON_DEV&bug_status=ON_QA&bug_status=RELEASE_PENDING&bug_status=POST&bug_status=FAILS_QA
>
> Ok that sounds like something I can start on.

That would be excellent.

> > - Do we need to do anything to prep for RHEL6? Do we just branch the
> >  things that are already in EPEL5? Or can we look at more than that?
>
> Yes.
>
> 1) We need to get the build system to koji. David Gilmore says thats
> real soon now (like this month).
> 2) We need to have a branch where we will build 'everything' against
> the BETA when it comes out. That way we can keep track of where things
> break and see if we can get some loving to EL-6 sooner versus later.
> 3) We need a TAM at Red Hat to keep us in contact with what is going
> on with EL{4,5,6} so that we have better communication about changes.

Yeah, all those would be nice.

kevin