Looking for a "release manager" for "RPM Fusions repos for EL & EPEL"

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Feb 27 15:29:16 UTC 2009

On 26.02.2009 18:13, Michel Salim wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:51 AM, Thorsten Leemhuis
> <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
> [...]
>> In the past weeks there hasn't been much progress to move the packages to
>> the normal repos and to officially announce support for EL & EPEL. The main
>> reason for that: We have quite a few packagers that are interested in having
>> the most important RPM Fusion packages available in a RPM Fusion for EL &
>> EPEL, but afaics nobody really wants to do the surrounding work that is
>> needed. Hence RPM Fusions look for a volunteers (or maybe two) that act a
>> bit as "Release-Engineers/-Managers" for RPM Fusion's EL repos.
>>
>> The position means a bit of work, but not to much if everything works well.
>> And the latter (making sure everything works well) is basically the job
>> description already; e.g. make sure the repo as a whole work is in healthy
>> state and now and in the future makes users and contributors glad. That
>> means things like:
> Are there legal aspects to be considered? I'm a non-US citizen
> residing in the US,

Sorry, can really answer that as I'm not really familiar with such
things in general or with US law. But it's afaics not like it's a
official position (or something like that) which would make you
responsible for what happens in the repo. But you certainly would be a
"contributor".

 > and I'm interested in this,

Sounds good!

> but would rather stay
> away from having official responsibility for packages such as
> gstreamer-plugins-{ugly,bad}.

A indicated in my earlier mail already: The main part of the job is make
the repo as a whole work. That now and then might mean to take care of a
packages as maintainer, but that doesn't have to be
gstreamer-plugins-{ugly,bad} (which hans wanted to take care of himself
iirc; seems he hasn't found time for it yet).

Cu
knurd