pexepct is in RHEL and should be dropped from EPEL

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Jan 23 15:53:04 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 11:56:52AM +0100, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:

> I also think it's a reasonable request to make, but I'm sure this has
> been raised before... Have we ever actually ask them? If yes, what did
> they respond?

After this happened in 5.1, I worked on something, but obviously what
was put in place then didn't stick.  After it happened again in 5.2, I
failed to wield the cluestick widely enough to make sure it wouldn't
happen again.

The idea was generally approved, afaik -- no one in the RHEL
organization is deliberately keeping information from EPEL or the
maintainers.  There is no communication procedure in place for
migrating packages from EPEL.  Similarly, the opposite is true -- if a
RHEL point release drops a package, EPEL is not informed so that
someone has the option to pick up the orphaned pacakge.

I'll do my best from here to get a procedure in place soonest so we
have lots of advance notice next time ...

- Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41