Nagios 3.1.2

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 15:09:18 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 8:24 AM, Mike McGrath<mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Jul 2009, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2009-07-02 at 15:51 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
>> >
>> > I've stayed on the nagios 2.x tree long enough, anyone opposed to me
>> > updating to 3.1.2 in EPEL?
>>
>> Nagios 2 and Nagios 3 conf files are not compatible AFAIK -- so upgrade
>> will break systems. Instead, maybe we can ship nagios3 package *along
>> with* nagios2.
>>

> This assumes two things.  1) that someone is willing to maintain both (I'm
> not).  and 2) that nagios 2 is still supported, and it very well may not
> be.

What I am looking at is a long term way of dealing with this.
Basically the idea would be

1) current nagios gets replaced with an RPM that is called nagios2 and
just has a couple of things in it:
 A) replaces nagios (or whatever the syntax is my brain -ENOCAFFEINE)
 B) conflicts nagios3
 C) README. This RPM is end of lifed and no longer supported. We are
providing this so that you can maintain the source code and packages
as needed.

2) new nagios is put into tree as nagios3. This would allow for us to
put new stuff in there and not worry about people ending up with
broken updates from yum-updated :)

Does this sound like a good first idea?

--
Stephen J Smoogen.