Starting point for README file

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jul 18 00:40:44 UTC 2009

On 07/18/2009 03:34 AM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> Welcome to Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux (EPEL).
>
> WARNINGS:
> ----------------
>
> Use at your own risk. There is no guarentee that the package will
> work or that it will not be upgraded tomorrow to an incompatible
> package.

I prefer a more specific explanation of the process and policies
regarding what we *try* to provide rather than a generic warning. Since
I am not too close to them, I am not providing the alternative wording
here.

> About:
> ----------------
> EPEL is a group of people trying to make packages inside of Fedora
> available to users of Red Hat(TM) Enterprise Linux (and clones like
> CentOS and Scientific Linux). Policies for what packages are allowed
> inside of EPEL can be found at

I prefer instead:

EPEL (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL) is a community of people who
provide a add-on repository of packages sourced from Fedora and built
for Red Hat Enterprise Linux (and compatible community rebuilds such as
CentOS and Scientific Linux)

> Changes to packages will be announced on
> epel-announce-list at fedoraproject.org. Please subscribe at
> http://something1.org
>
> Packages are built via koji by maintainers and pushed into the EPEL
> testing repository. They can be tested there, and votes about problems
> can be put into bodhi (http://something2.org). Packages with 0 or
> greater scores will be pushed into EPEL stable after two weeks.

Koji build system (http://koji.fedoraproject.org). Packages are usually
pushed .. . Can be overridden by the maintainer?

> License:
> EPEL packages are delivered under open source licenses that are allowed
> by Fedora. Source code for the packages can be found at various mirrors
> or http://something3.org

EPEL software packages are delivered under free and open software
licenses and follow the same guidelines as Fedora as described in
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing

Rahul