Moin in EPEL

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 19:11:30 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Ville-Pekka
Vainio<vpivaini at cs.helsinki.fi> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently took over as the maintainer of the moin package in Fedora and
> EPEL. It's my first EPEL package. I've been able to handle the Fedora
> side quite well but, to be honest, I'm in a bit of trouble with the EPEL
> packages. The thing is, the package has been practically unmaintained
> for a year now and I'm quite certain there are security issues with it
> (I'd rather not disclose the possible vulnerabilities on a public
> mailing list).
>
> The moin version in EPEL is 1.5.9 and upstream has abandoned the 1.5
> series completely. From what I've read on mailing lists, IRC and the
> Moin documentation, the migration from 1.5 to 1.6 or later can be quite
> painful. IIRC the Fedora infrastructure team were testing it before
> switching to Mediawiki and they had all kinds of problems with it as
> well. This is why I'd rather not submit an update to 1.8, which is the
> current stable branch, in EL-4 or EL-5.

I had looked at this a while ago. My strategy looked to be to create a
moin15, moin16 etc that would replace the older versions (moin-1.5
etc) since upgrades from 1.5 to 1.8 were uhm painful (I know I did it
a couple of times). This would allow for 2 things.
1) put people with older moins on a stable RPM that wouldn't break
production websites.
2) allow for us to within 1-2 release cycles end support for these
moin packages. People who wanted to upgrade could then work out the
steps themselves as its not always easy.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux