stable pushes in the bodhi world

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Sun Mar 29 16:41:20 UTC 2009

On 03/28/2009 12:00 AM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> In the EPEL meeting today (yes, we had one finally!) the question came
> up of how often we would want to do stable pushes after we have gotten
> koji and bodhi all working for EPEL.
>
> Currently:
>
> - Maintainers build and their packages go to testing.
> - After (loosely) 1 month, the package is just moved to stable unless
>   the maintainer specifically tells the signers not to push it.
>
> Note that this doesn't mean it's gotten any testing or is really
> 'stable', it just means no one yelled that was using testing. ;)
> Or at least not loud enough to stop it.
>
> Moving forward:
>
> - Maintainer will build and request testing for their package.
> - Testers can provide karma/comments.
> - At some point the maintainer decides based on these that the package
>   is stable and stable is requested.
> - Signers push the stable updates.
>
> There are a number of questions here:
>
> 1. How often should stable pushes be done by signers:
> a) monthly just as it is now.
> b) weekly
> c) more often
>
> With a) we have the advantage of a specific time that folks expect
> stable updates to appear, but we also have known stable packages
> waiting in testing that could be in stable.
>
> With b) we lessen the wait time, but increase the times people expect
> updates.
>
> With c) the wait time is very low, but no one knows when stable updates
> will appear.
>
> 2. Should we require some level of bodhi feedback to push something to
> stable? If we can't find a few people to +1 an update should it just
> stay in testing until it gets the needed karma? The bad side here is
> that if we don't have enough people testing, some stable software will
> languish in testing.
>
> Input on these questions welcome, they need to be decided before
> koji/bodhi go live for epel.

I'd suggest:
- pushes occur once per month and take into account the following 3 rules:
1. at least one month in testing, as we have now (unless security fix)
2. push to stable if karma reaches a level N>0 ("N" to be defined) and
time in testing >= 4 weeks
3. push to stable if karma >=0 and the package was in testing "long
enough" (not less than 4 weeks; maybe 12 ?)