New git in EPEL?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 20:01:19 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 11:59 AM, Michael Stahnke <mastahnke at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 11:03 PM, Adam Miller <maxamillion at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> As per the new EPEL policy that was voted on recently, the push of that
>>> update is not allowed unless there is a justification due to security
>>> vulnerability.
>>>
>>> -Adam (From Android)
>>
>> Where was this vote? I know I missed a couple of EPEL meetings, was it recently?
>
> It was recent. The basics are:
>
> 1) Updates/upgrades are ok as long as they do not break compatibility
> or require manual intervention to get working.
> 2) If an update/upgrade will break the release, the package is
> affected by a security problem then an update is allowed if it is
> announced and I think, gets a month of testing in epel-testing.
> 3) Otherwise either a clean fix needs to be made or the package is not
> to be upgraded.
>
> And yes this needs to be written up but crap the whole EPEL wiki needs
> a rewrite.
>

>From IRC yesterday:

Oct 27 12:41:03 <tmz>   smooge: BTW, I'm not on the epel-devel list,
but as far as a potential git update is concerned, it's trivial for us
to build it with gitexecdir=%{_bindir} so that the command locations
don't change.
Oct 27 12:41:23 <smooge>        ok that would make things a lot nicer
Oct 27 12:41:41 <tmz>   That'd be my preference if I was updating it
in EPEL, as the change is a bit dramatic to make otherwise.
Oct 27 12:42:13 <tmz>   My only concern with it is that it makes
git-1.6.5 on EL differ from 1.6.5 on Fedora.
Oct 27 12:42:44 <tmz>   But if it allows an actual supported git in
EPEL, that'd be worth it I think.
Oct 27 12:43:30 <tmz>   If it would help, I can join epel-devel and
chime in.  But I do try to avoid more mailing lists if I can. ;)

If this will fix things without a script or such lets just have this
be the difference between Fedora and EPEL specs.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.

-- Robert Browning