Finding old EPEL packages

Alexey Torkhov atorkhov at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 17:56:15 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-09-26 at 10:10 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 2:13 AM, Alexey Torkhov <atorkhov at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> No it doesn't. Packages are retained for a certain amount of time but
> >> not forever due to space reasons.
> >
> > Then, some place with enough storage space should be found. Like
> > archive.fedoraproject.org. There is even FC-1 that was released several
> > years ago could be found, but EPEL package that was there month ago is
> > gone.
> >

> Well to answer your first question that started this off.. EPEL does
> not have any FUSE packages nor has it because kernel packages have
> been verbotten. rpmrepo or rpmfusion might have had them but not EPEL.

Yeah, I saw the EL branches and tags and thought that it was built. Some
other repos have the package, right.

> One the second, archive.fedoraproject.org deals with releases. Not
> every package that was released for a fedora is kept forever. A
> release is kept and the last update to a package in that release is
> kept. But if 20 updates occurred between the two, those aren't kept.
>
> EPEL does not have 'releases' in the same manner Fedoraproject does
> and so it only keeps the latest package around. Trying to keep around
> terabytes of packages around is beyond what this volunteer part can
> deal with.

Oh, right, only last package is kept on Fedora mirrors. I thought that
some number of older updates is kept too - may be saw it in some other
repos. So, then there is no need to keep them for EPEL.

Thanks for clarifications :)

Alexey