Request for MongoDB

Nils Breunese (Lemonbit) nils at lemonbit.com
Sun Sep 27 19:53:27 UTC 2009

Hello all,

I'd like to ask this list if anyone is interested in packaging MongoDB
for Fedora EPEL. From http://www.mongodb.org/:

----
The best features of document databases, key/values stores, and
RDBMSes in one.

Mongo (from "humongous") is a high-performance, open source, schema-
free document-oriented database. MongoDB is written in C++ and offers
the following features:

	• Collection oriented storage: easy storage of object/JSON -style data
	• Dynamic queries
	• Full index support, including on inner objects and embedded arrays
	• Query profiling
	• Replication and fail-over support
	• Efficient storage of binary data including large objects (e.g.
photos and videos)
	• Auto-sharding for cloud-level scalability (currently in alpha)
	• Commercial Support Available

A key goal of MongoDB is to bridge the gap between key/value stores
(which are fast and highly scalable) and traditional RDBMS systems
(which are deep in functionality).
----

MongoDB is licensed under the AGPL.

This page has some information about building MongoDB on Fedora: http://www.mongodb.org/display/DOCS/Building+for+Linux

The debian directory in the source tree contains things like an init.d
script, which might be of help: http://github.com/mongodb/mongo/tree/master/debian/

I believe MongoDB would be a very nice addition to Fedora EPEL.

Thanks,

Nils Breunese.