RHEL 6 & EPEL

Bryan J Smith bjs at redhat.com
Wed Apr 21 17:09:39 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 11:12 -0400, Jon Stanley wrote:
> Considering that gcc 4.5 was released a few days ago, not
> surprising. :)

I think people forget that while LSB went with GCC 3.3, Red Hat only did
3.2 and then 3.4.  Many of the features in 3.3 were backported to 3.2 by
Red Hat, while 3.3 itself was known for various issues.  ;)

Furthermore, it is not uncommon for Red Hat to ship "Tech Preview" and
eventually "current" (with specific version in the package name) suites,
including GCC, when userspace features are desired, but base system
ABI/API does not require them (and is more stable with a prior release).

In any case, this is the Beta, and time to make such feature requests,
even if the base/stock package release is still going to be 4.4.

--
Bryan J Smith       Senior Consultant       Red Hat, Inc
Professional Consulting http://www.redhat.com/consulting