[Libguestfs] guestfish/libguestfs takes legacy qemu instead of kvm?

Kirby Zhou kirbyzhou at sohu-rd.com
Tue Aug 10 16:10:13 UTC 2010

But pure QEMU is very very slow.

  Regards
  Kirby Zhou

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard W.M. Jones [mailto:rjones at redhat.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 8:34 PM
To: Kirby Zhou
Cc: 'EPEL development disccusion'; libguestfs at redhat.com
Subject: Re: [Libguestfs] guestfish/libguestfs takes legacy qemu instead of
kvm?

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 05:27:56PM +0800, Kirby Zhou wrote:
> Thanks very much.  BTW, I have a small question, why libguestfs
> depends on QEMU instead of libvirt?  If we take libvirt, we can
> easily run libguestfs with xen, virtualbox, vmware, etc.

It's considerably more complex than that.

However you can already use libguestfs to analyze images from xen,
vmware, virtualbox and so on.  The fact that qemu is involved behind
the scenes doesn't matter -- indeed it's an advantage because qemu's
block layer supports many different container formats.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, Virtualization Group, Red Hat
http://people.redhat.com/~rjones