New git in EPEL?

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Wed Aug 25 21:40:33 UTC 2010

Orion Poplawski wrote:
> Any more progress on this?

Sorry, I've not had any time for it.  And it seems that no one from
else uses emacs or cares about an updated git enough.  I'm not an
emacs user, so to test this I'd need to learn enough about emacs and
vcs integration to be able to ensure I don't break things with an
update.  Not exactly my idea of something to do for fun. :)

> At what point dit the emacs >= 22.2 requirement come it?

It was git-1.6.2 that vc-git.elc was removed from git.  It's unclear
to me from the commit message where the change was made whether the
file was long obsolete and out of date before that or not though.  the
upstream commit is 7851386.

> Can we still go to a 1.6.X release?

I've no interest in spending the time to update from one unsupported
release to another, personally.  If others are interested enough, feel
free.  Though if there's interest, it would be best spent looking at
what needs to happen to support the older emacs on EL-5 with current
git.  It may well be as simple as grabbing the vc-git.elc from older
git releases or from newer emacs.  Any git emacs users care to lend a
hand there?

> I'd like to see gitolite in EL-5 but the latest there appears to
> require git 1.6.4 or greater.

So, you'd still have the issue of vc-git.elc being removed then.

No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway