Mock for EPEL4 with broken deps for ages

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 21:18:38 UTC 2010

On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 11:51:50 -0600, Kevin wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 14:57:14 +0200
> Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > https://bugzilla.redhat.com/550448
> >
> > Could somebody from the EPEL project leaders please explain this?
>
> Thats sad. :(
>
> I remember long ago using mock on el4, so I don't know when it broke,
> but I am pretty sure it worked at one point. ;(
>
> So, yes, we should remove this package or they should fix it to work on
> EL4. It's quite disappointing that they were shipping it broken with
> bug filed all this time.
>
> Does it really need python 2.4?
> Or would something like python-kitchen help?
>
> I'll ask that on the bug.

Here's info about the package life-time,

  mock-0.7.2-1.el4.1
  built on 2009-06-20 (probably when koji was populated for epel)
  but as old as 2007 according to the spec %changelog

and bodhi knows about a version upgrade directly to 1.0.1, introducing
the Python 2.4 dependency five months later:

  mock-1.0.1-1.el4 bugfix update
  https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/mock-1.0.1-1.el4
  Date Released:  	2009-12-01 17:49:47
  Details
    Fix creation of root cache tarballs
  Bugs Fixed
    540997 - Intermittent errors creating mock root cache tarball
    ^^^^^^
    ^^
    ^
That's for a Fedora 12 bug report. The proposed final patch replaces just
a few lines.  No EPEL4 specific bugs mentioned. Not even the jump from
0.7.2 to 1.0.1 was warned about.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/GuidelinesAndPolicies#Package_maintenance_and_update_policy

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/FAQ#How_does_Fedora_Project_ensure_the_quality_of_the_packages_in_EPEL.3F

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/FAQ#How_long_are_EPEL_packages_updated.3F