Fedora Electronics Lab through EPEL question

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Mon Aug 23 21:47:39 UTC 2010

On 08/24/2010 12:37 AM, Robert Peruzzi wrote:

> EPEL Helpers,
>
> I’m running RHEL 5.1.19.6 and I want to be able to run CAD tools from
> FEL. Following directions on the EPEL web page I downloaded an EPEL
> package as root, then installed all the FEL tools individually with,
> for instance:
>
> # yum install alliance
>
> About ¾ of the installations succeeded, but I’ll ask about the
> failures another time. For the “successful” installations:
>
> · What is the next step to add the programs to PATH and the man pages
> to MANPATH, and make myself the owner (rather than root) and make the
> executables executable so I can learn to run these tools?

All packages in Fedora (and EPEL) install the binaries and the man pages
in the same way. IF a package provides a runable binary it will be in
your $PATH; if it has manpages, they will be below $MANPATH.
You can always use rpm -ql or repoquery -l to list the content of the
package that you have installed ( or even before installing) and look
around to see what is installed and where.
Installing as a private user rather than root can be done but is not
supported. If you really want to do that, create a chroot ( or a
fakeroot...) and install over there. Keep in mind that most probably
those applications will need dependencies ( libraries) which will be
found in the system directories,. hence will not be available in the
chroot unless you specifically place them there, too

> · Is there a few commands to do this for me

find the name of binaries and locations/names of manpages: yes
install as user: no