New git in EPEL?

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Thu Aug 26 05:18:36 UTC 2010

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> I am an emacs user but not much of a git user (or a hardcore enough
> emacs user to use vcs in it.) The changes between emacs in EL-5 and
> 22.2 is HUGE. I am not sure how much a backport would be possible. A
> emacs22 would probably need to be done.

ehh?  What is the issue against not carrying a local fork, and
just dropping in the upstream?  It seems to tolerate the EL 5
emacs just fine  [/me forgets if I needed to add leaf node
build tools, but it looks like all I had to carry to build it
were: asciidoc, cvsps, tla, and perhaps subversion to
complete the dependency chain; I dont have a README in the
deployment directory, so I assume the build was uneventful]

It appears the F 'git-1.7.2.1-1.fc11.src.rpm' also built in my
modified CentoS 5 environment

smooge -- please ping me tomorrow in IRC on this -- R

[herrold at freeswitch ~]$ rpm -qi git
Name        : git                          Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 1.7.1                             Vendor: orc
Release     : 4orc                          Build Date: Tue 10 Aug 2010 09:45:46 AM EDT
Install Date: Wed 18 Aug 2010 02:52:18 PM EDT      Build Host: elided
Group       : Development/Tools             Source RPM: git-1.7.1-4orc.src.rpm
Size        : 12090578                         License: GPL
URL         : http://git-scm.com/
Summary     : Git core and tools
Description :
[herrold at freeswitch ~]$ rpm -q emacs