Self-depracating packages was moin/mediawiki/etc [Need buildsys and rpm/yum eyes on this please]

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 00:05:52 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at tummy.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 16:26:18 -0700
> Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I think it has a nugget to work on so I am not against this..
>> What goes into stable? I can see slipstream getting all the packages
>> because its easier to break things.. but I don't see much reason to
>> put stuff into stable.
>
> Well, we would need to be strict I think for what can go into the
> slipstream repo, and also it should be disabled by default in
> epel-release, so only those that enable it would see those packages.
>
> I would think maintainers would like to have their packages in
> testing/stable to reach the widest audience, and only use slipstream if
> there was no other choice.
>
> I agree it would be more work to have another repo, possibly more than
> we have people to work on at this point, but I think thats the best
> solution if we can pull it off.

Ok here is my crazy ass idea that probably not possible but an idea

EPEL Slipstream (4,5,6) -> Fedora Rawhide
EPEL Testing -> Fedora Branch for testing
EPEL Stable  -> Fedora Release
EPEL Updates -> Fedora Release Updates

Stable branched out of Slipstream every RHEL beta time into EPEL-testing
Stuff is 'tested/branched' into Stable at RHEL release time
Updates that meet requirements go into epel-updates.
An EPEL-X.Y branch is kept for 2 RHEL minor releases (X.Y) or 18 months.

so we would 'branch' to EPEL-5.5 and (sometime soon EPEL-4.9? ) stuff
is 'tested' (optimistically) and put into EPEL-5.5 stable when
RHEL-5.5 stable is done. Updates to packages are pushed into
EPEL-updates 5.5 and after 5.7 comes out is 'archived' off to
someplace.

and yes this would be a big amount of infrastructure changes that
people would need to help with. (so probably not too workable).

--
Stephen J Smoogen.

-- Robert Browning