xz branch for EL-4

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 01:45:15 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 05:24:18PM -0800, David Rees wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm the EL-5 package maintainer for xz and I'd
> > be happy to have you maintain it in EL-4.  I don't have any EL-4 boxes so
> > I'm not too motivated to do so myself but I have absolutely no objection
> > with someone else doing it.
>
> Well, I was hoping that this branch would be next to no trouble for
> you, but otherwise, I'll read the docs to see what it takes to become
> a packager.  Although with just me having just a handful of machines
> still running EL-4 it may be easier to just build from source although
> it would give me the opportunity to package other RPMs in the
> future...
>
> > PS: The xz source is distributed as both tar.gz and tar.xz.  We're using the
> > xz compressed tarball which is why you can't build the rpm directly.  For
> > bootstrapping into EL-4, you can first build a release with the tar.gz
> > tarball and then build the next release with tar.xz.
>
> Yes, I figured as much.  Thanks for the tip.  Sure I can't talk you
> into branching xz for EL-4? :-)

Nope, but I'll be happy to act as your sponsor!  You can start learning
about packaging rpms by looking at the srpm and I'll walk you through the
two building steps to change the EL-5 package to use a tar.gz tarball, and
then change it back to tar.xz afterwards.

If you're on IRC.freenode.net, I can help you in real-time (although not so
much in the next two weeks -- I'll mostly be away at pycon those weeks).

If you're interested, let me know.

-Toshio